Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Taking the bull by the horns, and hoping not to get stabbed.

Last week, I came across two amazing job opportunities available with one company.  The jobs matched my experience perfectly, and the company sounds amazing!  It's a small operation with national reach, and asks its employees to wear many hats and to come together as a team to get the job done.  DONE!!  That is how I love to work, and fits my "jack of all trades" experience to the tee.

So I applied for both positions on LinkedIn, writing a personalized cover letter for each position and attaching my profile and resume.  And then... I never heard back.  That was over a week ago.  Yesterday, I saw that the hiring manager had viewed my LinkedIn profile.  That's good, right?  Or maybe not, as I haven't heard form them since...  AAARRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!  This is so frustrating!  I hate tossing my resume out into the abyss and hoping it sticks.

Not one to give up easily, I've been cyber-stalking the company since and am falling more and more in love.  Their social presence is funny and inventive, and garners a lot of feedback from their fans - always a good sign.  Their work is creative, and the company culture sounds laid back and yet hard-working: perfect!!  I found their address and am contemplating my next move: dropping off my resume in person and asking if the hiring manager is available to chat.  Bold?  Yes.  Arrogant?  Perhaps.  Stupid?  I hope not!

I really don't want to let this opportunity go without a fight.  So what would you do?  Would you walk in uninvited and ask to chat with the hiring manager, risking the potential of turning them off entirely by not going through the right channels, or by interrupting a busy day?  Or, maybe instead of turning them off, I'll impress them with my go-getter-ness and can-do attitude.  I don't know... I'm leaning towards just doing it, and taking the proverbial bull by the horns.  If you strongly envision me getting stabbed by a horn as a result, blogosphere, please let me know!!!

1 comment:

  1. It all depends on the Recruiter. Some recruiters apprecicate the extra effort to come in and introduce yourself and show persistence. Some recruiters have the mentality of "Don't call me until I call you". Either way I think the reward is much higher than the risk. What have you got to lose? If it fails you can say you gave it a shot and went down swinging. Do it! Swing for the Fences!

    ReplyDelete